HERE'S WHAT ITS ALL ABOUT ....

Cabaret Hotline Online is an independent website with more than 7,400 pages of news, information and stories on cabaret, owned and maintained by Stu Hamstra. CABARET HOTLINE ONLINE is not affiliated with any club or organization. It is totally supported through advertising and membership donations. This blog is an extension of the website and newsletter.

NOW IN OUR 26th YEAR OF PROMOTING THE ART & ARTISTS OF CABARET!

"His eye is on the sparrow...."

Thursday, August 12, 2010

"HERE & THERE" COLUMN FROM CABARET HOTLINE ONLINE WEEKEND EDITION - 08/12/10


"HERE & THERE" COLUMN FROM CABARET HOTLINE ONLINE WEEKEND EDITION - 08/12/10

It's been a slow "cabaret news" week - which is an annual event as folks begin to "button down" their summer vacations and prepare for the fall season. Which is a little fortunate for me, since I have far too much on my plate already. As mentioned in Monday's newsletter, last Sunday my roommate (who has kindly rented me a room in his apartment room in the East Village for nearly 3 1/2 years) informed me that due to a family emergency, I must find a new place to live by September 1st. He needs the space for a relative who is getting divorced and has to find a new place to live by that date. Which means I not only need to find new housing, but I need to find the funds needed for rent & security (I wasn't required to make a security deposit here, because my current roommate has been a friend for several years).

It is quite possible that I will have to move back to Queens or maybe Bronx or Brooklyn, since I doubt very much that I will find any room in Manhattan at the rate I am currently paying (and right now I can hardly afford what I'm paying here). I have some sources to follow up on, but prefer to live with someone who shares my love for cabaret. If you are aware of a furnished room available, please let me know. All I need is a bed and a DSL/Cable connection (I don't need a phone, since I very rarely use one - and have a computer desk & chair). Something convenient to subway/bus is necessary as well.


Moving to a new space means a lot of extra, unanticipated expenses for me (and CABARET HOTLINE ONLINE) and I'm depending on your support as we go into the final weeks of summer. Please consider joining as a member of CABARET HOTLINE ONLINE today. Memberships start at just $5 - we now have 210 members - and we're trying for 300 by LABOR DAY (September 6th). You can join instantly via PayPal for whatever amount you wish! Just click here, fill in any amount and we'll set the right level


One final mention of tomorrow's CALLING ALL ANGELS 2 cabaret benefit on behalf of Gregory Kennell at THE METROPOLITAN ROOM (34 West 22nd Street, NYC - 212-206-0440 - ) on Friday, August 13th (as well as on Friday, August 20th at 7:30 pm). The event is produced by John Hoglund & Sue Matsuki and they have lined up most of the top names on cabaret to take part (CLICK HEREfor details).


We "bit the bullet" and joined FaceBook - for how long this time I'm not sure. I've already discovered some real drawbacks - my Twitter Feed appears via Echofon along the left edge of my computer monitor, so I can keep on writing or e-mailing, or whatever, and still keep track of all tweets. FaceBook requires that I open my web browser and the pages take over the full screen. I'm a multitasked and find this most intrusive. Consequently, I check my FaceBook page perhaps twice or three times a day, while my Twitter feed is on all day long.

I joined to try to get the word out to as many folks as possible about my search for a new place to live - with less than 3 weeks to find a space, I'm trying to keep from "panic mode" at least until after I get back from Michigan on the 23rd. My hopes and prayers are to have something lined up by then.
I also signed on for FarmVille - perhaps the most boring computer game I've ever been a part of (it's interactive). I thought at least there would be a floor or tornado to deal with, but is is a boring as watching grass grow (or avocados). I am currently harvesting the last of my "crops" and closing the farm.


On Monday night I attended the memorial event at DON'T TELL MAMA in honor of Frank J. Levandoski, who passed away after a long illness on May 19th. Frank was the partner for 31 years of one of the most ardent supporters of cabaret (and cabaret performers) in town, Joe Regan, Jr. One does not "review" memorial services, but I do want to report on some impressions gained at this completely "sold out" event (there was now cover charge). The 2+ hour event featured performances by a large variety of cabaret's best - from stars like Karen Mason, Karen Oberlin, Marcus Simeone, Sue Matsuki, Baby Jane Dexter, Julie Wilson, Mary Foster Conklin, Miles Phillips and Ronny Whyte (and that's just a few) to some of the lesser known but just as talented - there is no way I can list them all! And I was particularly thrilled to see some performers not as frequently seen in the New York rooms. One such special treat was Stephanie Zagoren, who one sees in the audience at nearly every show, but is also a fantastic vocalist. It is at events like these that once can thrill to the talents of folks at every level of cabaret!


We've been doing some "nip & tuck" work on the website - - a few hours a day - mostly replacing "flash" objects, artwork and buttons and replacing them with jpg or gif items. This will make the website more "smart phone friendly" as well as allow the website's pages to download more quickly. But you may seen some inconsistency in button colors and sizes as we replace ever button on all 6700 pages on the website. Some pages have as many as 24 buttons the need replacing.


In Saturday's MEMBERS ONLY newsletter we plan to include another special article, this time not just for performers. It will be a guide that will help everyone get more for their cabaret dollar in these so very difficult times. We're going to pass along some tips and suggestions on how to pick a good cabaret show. These articles will not appear in any of the regular twice-weekly issues, and won't appear on the website or the blog until later this year when I reorganize theFAQ's & TIPS section - everything you wanted to know about #cabaret but didn't know who to ask . Memberships are available for as little as $5. Full details of benefits for each level of membership are on the website - just click here: .


Just a little reminder about some schedule changes for CABARET HOTLINE ONLINE. Next week Friday, August 20th I will be travelling to Grand Rapids, MI, where my two older sisters reside, to be joined by my younger sister flying up from Florida, for a sort of "family reunion". We're all well past 65, and all fairly healthy, and what better time to see each other! I will return to NYC on Monday the 23rd, so the MEMBERS ONLY issue scheduled for Saturday the 21st will be sent on Friday the 20th before I leave for the airport; the issue normally scheduled for Monday, the 23rd, will go out on Tuesday the 24th. This will be the first time I've been away from NYC in nearly 2 years (the last trip was to St. Louis, MO) and I'm just a little excited to be "on the road again." A big thanks to my sisters who are paying for my air travel and providing lodging while I'm there (I might be able to mooch a few meals, too!)


See a show or two this week! Visit our websites! Run a banner or sidebar ad! Join CABARET HOTLINE ONLINE for 2010-2011. Now - more than ever - cabaret (and CABARET HOTLINE ONLINE) needs your support.

Look for more news on the CABARET HOTLINE ONLINE website, on theCABARET HOTLINE ONLINE blog and almost-hourly updates, picks & reminders on TWITTER.

And that's just about the way it was. We'll be back on Monday with our "Mostly Listings" Issue (The MEMBERS ONLY ISSUE goes out as usual on Saturday).

Thanks for your support of CABARET HOTLINE ONLINE!

Hugs & Stuff,

STU


copyright 2010 - CABARET HOTLINE ONLINE - POST YOUR COMMENTS BELOW