HERE'S WHAT ITS ALL ABOUT ....

Cabaret Hotline Online is an independent website with more than 7,400 pages of news, information and stories on cabaret, owned and maintained by Stu Hamstra. CABARET HOTLINE ONLINE is not affiliated with any club or organization. It is totally supported through advertising and membership donations. This blog is an extension of the website and newsletter.

NOW IN OUR 26th YEAR OF PROMOTING THE ART & ARTISTS OF CABARET!

"His eye is on the sparrow...."

Saturday, December 6, 2008

GETTING BACK IN THE GROOVE

I made it to one show last night - PAT & BOOTH at THE DUPLEX - and it was "just what the doctor ordered": plenty of good times. I'll be including a review of this show in Monday's issue of the newsletter. From my house it is easy to get to THE DUPLEX - I take the #8 bus that stops on the corner of Avenue D and 10th Street (just a few steps from my front door) and go cross town on 10th to Avenue A where it makes a turn at Tompkins Square Park and then turns on 9th Street straight across to Sixth Ave where it makes an angle turn down Christopher Street and I get off at the corner of Waverly Street, 1/2 block from the club. This is the only regular cabaret club in town I can get to without a transfer - and can get to (traffic permitting) in less than 1/2 hour. And the ride is like being on a tour bus - right through the East Village, the "Middle Village" and the West Village (it goes all the way from river to river practically). Best of all, as a senior it only costs me a buck! Sad news is that the MTA is considering discontinuing this line - forcing me to take the #14 bus crosstown on 14th Street and then transferring downtown at 6th (F train) or 7th (#1 train or a bus) to Christopher Street. But that will be a ways off.

Tonight I want to catch 2 shows if I can - the first one still to be decided and the second one at THE METROPOLITAN ROOM - the new vocal group The Delivery Girls at 9:45 pm. I heard these gals twice already, both times at Grace Cosgrove's GRACE NOTES shows at DON'T TELL MAMA - its about time we get a swinging all-gal pop group in town! Tracy Stark does all the arrangements with her usual pizzaz, and sings along too. I'll let you know tomorrow if I make it to the show.

HUGS

STU