HERE'S WHAT ITS ALL ABOUT ....

Cabaret Hotline Online is an independent website with more than 7,400 pages of news, information and stories on cabaret, owned and maintained by Stu Hamstra. CABARET HOTLINE ONLINE is not affiliated with any club or organization. It is totally supported through advertising and membership donations. This blog is an extension of the website and newsletter.

NOW IN OUR 26th YEAR OF PROMOTING THE ART & ARTISTS OF CABARET!

"His eye is on the sparrow...."

Friday, July 16, 2010

HERE & THERE - PART I - BLOG EDITION with report on Tuesday's Gala


HERE & THERE - PART I

And now on to ANNIVERSARY #21! Our 20th ANNIVERSARY GALA on Tuesday, July 13th will certainly be one that I'll long remember - and I'm sort of sure that everyone who attended and/or took part feels that way as well. You could feel the energy, the love, the excitement and the "community of cabaret" for the full 132 minutes of the show (we went slightly over our scheduled 2 hours). Featuring 20 performers, more than 20 songs (if you count songs within medleys), plus two award presentations, we ran the show non-stop, and it was full-speed-ahead entertainment.

It was a total sell out - not an empty seat in the house (even a few "standees"). Several members of the "cabaret press" were there, especially a contingent from CABARET SCENES magazine, since one of the presentations was the JEFF MATSON AWARD, presented to CABARET SCENE'S editor Frank Dain. The DOTTIE BURMAN SONGWRITER AWARD was presented to the recently formed team of Mary Liz McNamara and Ritt Henn. The award recipients also entertained with a song performance.

I will leave to others the fun of writing about the show itself (since I was the MC this time), but I will say that each of the acts were terrific, representing a broad spectrum of the cabaret and musical styles. Many, many original songs were performed by their composers, including one performed by our musical director, the most incredible Tracy Stark (a previous DOTTIE BURMAN AWARD winner, and multiple award winner from others). The final cast (no longer subject to change without notice) was made up of Lucille Carr-Kaffashan, Suzanne Carrico, Jill Cohen, Hector Coris, Frank Dain, Tim Di Pasqua, Terese Fischer, Daryl Glenn, Sidney Myer, Maria Ottavia, Shaynee Rainbolt, Parker Scott, Marcus Simeone, Maureen Taylor, Evan Toth, Jon Whitton, Jim VanSlyke and Darren Williams (plus of course, Tracy Stark and me).

We had some last minute "drop outs" (because performers appear for free, we don't hold them to make the show if they get an offer of a paying gig), and we actually didn't know our final lineup until the morning of the show. This meant dozens of e-mails between Tracy and I, and the holding of printing the program booklet until the last minute. I finally made it to the copy store at 1:00 pm, with showtime at 7:00 pm.

Very strange at these copy shops. When I arrived, there were four employees doing exactly nothing! Every copy machine in the place was idle. But when I asked if they could print out 100 programs (2 sheets, printed both sides) while I waited, I was told it was impossible. I would have to leave my computer disc and return on Wednesday. Fortunately, there was a self-service section, so I went there and, after a few false starts, did the job myself, and it was complete in 20 minutes! Next time I'm not even going to ask.

I got to THE LAURIE BEECHMAN around 5:00 pm and Tracy was already there doing sound checks/mini rehearsals before the show. She had arranged 10 minute sessions for each performer (except for those accompanying themselves or bringing their own accompanist) starting at 4:30 pm. The staff wanted to open the room promptly at 6:30 for the 7:00 pm show, and if it wasn't for the late arrival of one of the accompanists, we almost made it.

A word about the folks at THE BEECHMAN - Kenny Bell, who manages the room, is a magician when it comes to getting everyone seated promptly, efficiently, and with real charm, so that the wait staff can take food/drink orders before showtime. I sat near the front at the side of the room, where I had a clear view of the full stage and the full room, and was amazed at the way the staff took orders, delivered food and drinks, and cleared tables during the show silently and almost invisibly.

I actually consumed nothing but water and diet coke during the show, for two reasons. First, I had to endure about 40 minutes in a very hot subway station to catch the E train uptown to 42nd Street. I have discovered this summer (and especially during this current heat wave) that I have become extremely susceptible to the effects of this weather, with two incidents of dehydration that nearly had me fleeing to an emergency room. So I felt just a little woozy when I got to THE BEECHMAN. And, secondly, I never have any alcohol when I know I need to get before a microphone. This is the result of a rather embarrassing faux pas made a few years ago when, without warning, I was asked to get up and say a few words, after consuming two cocktails.

A huge thank you once more to Tracy Stark, who did so much work to make this show go so smoothly! I had gotten so involved with mechanical issues (including a broken iPod that contained the Reservation List), program design and printing, and notifying performers, sponsoras and audience members of the latest news, plus publishing the Monday newsletter, that a lot of work fell on her shoulders. I truly missed Sue Matsuki, who is away on a 3-week cruise. She usually comes to the rescue the last few days before a show to handle some of these details for me.

Meantime, we had to deal with membership renewals, and that's my next project today. Everyone who joined by PayPal gets an automated renewal acknowledgement, but folks who joined and paid by check have over the past week or so have still to be thanked. Plus I have to update their membership records and send out their membership cards. And I don't have an accurate membership count yet - we'll be sending that out in the MEMBERS ONLY newsletter on Saturday and will refresh the count in the regular Monday issue of the newsletter.
copyright 2010 - CABARET HOTLINE ONLINE - POST YOUR COMMENTS BELOW