HERE'S WHAT ITS ALL ABOUT ....

Cabaret Hotline Online is an independent website with more than 7,400 pages of news, information and stories on cabaret, owned and maintained by Stu Hamstra. CABARET HOTLINE ONLINE is not affiliated with any club or organization. It is totally supported through advertising and membership donations. This blog is an extension of the website and newsletter.

NOW IN OUR 26th YEAR OF PROMOTING THE ART & ARTISTS OF CABARET!

"His eye is on the sparrow...."

Sunday, December 7, 2008

WOW - SOME SHOWS DO SELL OUT! (SORT OF)

I had an interesting experience last night - turned away at the door of a cabaret show! The performer promised to put me "on the list" but there apparently was a mixup somewhere. The line was out the door when I got there, and I patiently waited in line until I got to the host station only to be told that the show was completely sold out with a waiting list! My reservation was no where to be found. So, rather than pull a "diva act" and end up taking the seat of someone on the waiting list, I apologized to the rather harried reservations' gal and went back home.

So, maybe cabaret is not in such dire straits after all - or was I watching another phenomena take place? There appeared to be several people in the line in front of mr with what looked like one of those familiar "free pass" or "special discount" printouts clutched in their hands. Were ready-to-pay-full-cover customers but who hadn't made reservations placed on the waiting list while free-bees were being seated? No one would answer that question. And no one would even confirm that seats were offered on AE, TDF, or other organizations that help performers fill empty seats.

I always feel sorry for folks that pay the full cover to see their friends perform, who get seated next to folks who get a free ride and oft times have no interest in either the artist or the art. Could this practice be a turn-off to regular cabaret-goers? Can this be the reason many cabaret fans are abandoning the clubs and performers? I'm going to dig some more on this.

Unfortunately, this particular show only has one more performance left this year - and is on a night when I am already promised elsewhere. But if the performer can attract this big a crowd (even the deadbeats who won't pay a cover) I am sure the performer will be rebooked at a later date.

HUGS

STU