HERE'S WHAT ITS ALL ABOUT ....

Cabaret Hotline Online is an independent website with more than 7,400 pages of news, information and stories on cabaret, owned and maintained by Stu Hamstra. CABARET HOTLINE ONLINE is not affiliated with any club or organization. It is totally supported through advertising and membership donations. This blog is an extension of the website and newsletter.

NOW IN OUR 26th YEAR OF PROMOTING THE ART & ARTISTS OF CABARET!

"His eye is on the sparrow...."

Friday, October 1, 2010

SUE MATSUKI COMMENTS ON HER COLUMN ON CABARET HOTLINE ONLINE THAT STARTS MONDAY


SUE'S VIEWS, REVIEWS & NEWS STARTS IN MONDAY'S ISSUE


WELCOME!
I am thrilled to kick off my new column here on Stu Hamstra'shttp://www.cabarethotlineonline.com/ ! I have been a charter member of CABARET HOTLINE ONLINE for 10 years, but actually remember the printed Newsletters Stu used to circulate when he first started in 1990. We go way back.
My first posting will actually be in the Monday, October 4th Newsletter. This posting is just a description of what this column will and will not be. How will this column work? What will I be reviewing and how does one get me to a show? (REVIEWS) What won't this column be? (VIEWS) What else will this column will offer? (NEWS) So, here's goes:
1. As Stu stated in his announcement, I go to all shows first as a person who loves talent and secondly as a singer.
2. Anyone, but particularly my peers, wishing NOT to have me review them (for whatever reason) just send me an e-mail saying, "Please come to my show as a friend, not as a reviewer". Of course, I can't accomodate every request.
3. If you would like me to attend your show, just send me a notice to the e-mail listed below.
4. REVIEWS: Initially I will be focusing on new talent and talent that has not received reviews yet ... what I call "newbies" or "up and comers". I will also be scouting all the various Open Mics/Variety Shows to recommend folks that I think our readers should know but, of course, will also see and write about established singers as well.
5. What you won't read here are any bad reviews. I will be constructive and honest in my views about shows that I see but any person that I do not consider ready to be reviewed yet, I will not post. If that person knows that I have been in the room and wishes to know why they were not reviewed, they may shoot me an e-mail and I'll chat with them but they must understand that if you ask, please be ready to hear my honest impressions.
6. Also please remember that I am only one person in a room of 20-100 other people. Some may agree or disagree with me but I would recommend that you never believe your best review and that you also never believe your worst review. The truth lies in the middle. Your team: your Musical Director, Vocal Coach & Director should be willing to discuss what was written about you in terms of using what they agree with to help you grow and then put into perspective some of the other things they may not necessarily agree with ... I am just one opinion and art is always subjective.
7. Regarding the VIEWS section of this column, when faced with things that I think are wrong about shows that I have seen, I may discuss them in the column but in a general manner with no names used or specific shows mentioned ... only the issue that I wish to discuss. This allows me to be "critical" on an issue but not on the person and, hopefully, help others to avoid that issue.
8. The NEWS section will be the things I may hear round town and posting of upcoming events and shows that you all should consider seeing.
9. Questions to me are always welcome at the e-mail listed below on any topic relating to performing, PR, shows, clubs, open mics, how to pick a team ... whatever ... which may generate some News or Views ideas.
I'm really looking forward to doing this. I hope you all will enjoy reading the columns and do keep in touch with me on any questions that you may have along the way. Thank you Stu for this opportunity and "see" you all on Monday, October 4th with my first posting!
Sue Matsuki
Dream it, Believe it, DO IT!
e-mail me at SueMatsuki@aol.com
For more information on me or to read my resumes/reviews please visit my personal website at http://www.SueMatsuki.com/

copyright 2010 - CABARET HOTLINE ONLINE - POST YOUR COMMENTS BELOW