HERE'S WHAT ITS ALL ABOUT ....

Cabaret Hotline Online is an independent website with more than 7,400 pages of news, information and stories on cabaret, owned and maintained by Stu Hamstra. CABARET HOTLINE ONLINE is not affiliated with any club or organization. It is totally supported through advertising and membership donations. This blog is an extension of the website and newsletter.

NOW IN OUR 26th YEAR OF PROMOTING THE ART & ARTISTS OF CABARET!

"His eye is on the sparrow...."

Friday, April 10, 2009

SOME MEMORIES OF JACK WRANGLER




I led a rather sheltered life, so it wasn't until I moved to Manhattan around the age of 30 that I discovered who (and what) Jack Wrangler was. The first time I saw him was at a benefit for THE GLINES, a gay theater group run by playwright/producer John Glines. I didn't know who John Glines was either for that matter, until I was introduced to him at MARIE'S CRISIS one night a few weeks earlier. He invited me to the benefit at a club on Seventh Avenue South, and one of the guest stars was someone called Jack Wrangler. And Jack took the stage and actually auctioned off his underwear (a clean pair he had in his pocket) - and I had no idea why, since everyone assumed that everyone knew who Jack Wrangler was, and no one explained. I've learned a lot about Jack (and about life) since then.

Jack become totally involved in cabaret after meeting, dating and later marrying NYC cabaret icon Margaret Whiting, who along with Julie Wilson and a few others comprise the "Grande Dames" of the genre. And, after taking part, along with Margaret, as an instructor/Master Teacher at the EUGENE O'NEAL CABARET CONFERENCE, began directing cabaret performers. He had one signature style - always including himself in the production in some way in the show, but usually in the part of narrator or off-stage voice.

In 1999 I actually saw Jack at work, the afternoon of December 31st, in Fullerton, CA, where he was directing a huge, complicated cabaret show for a New Year's Eve party for the company I was working for at the time (it was the "millennium" and the sponsor of the show even had a huge generator on standby outside the venue, just in case the worst fears we all had as the clocks went from 1999 to 2000 came to pass). Jack was an amazing man to watch, totally in charge, full of energy, with a steady stream of ideas he added to the show to put it all together for that evening's performance. There was a high school choir, several performers (including Margaret) and all sorts of special effects (including snow falling outside the windows - in California!) and multi-media projections. And in the show Jack played the voice of a computer which carried on a conversation with one of the performers.

But the most exciting part of my trip that weekend came the following morning, at brunch. Jack and Margaret were there, as well as Shelly Markham (who actually "chauffeured" me from my hotel to the home where it was held). We all sat around the kitchen table and the stories, anecdotes (and a small bit of gossip here and there) was shared by all. It was one of those "let's do this several hours more" events that give definition to the word "unforgettable". But most of all, I could witness close up the very special relationship that bonded Jack and Margaret for so many years.

I started mentioning Jack in my prayers perhaps a year or more ago, when his illness began to really take hold and he was hospitalized. For the past several months he was in a hospice facility. I was not shocked when word came on Tuesday morning from Peter Haas that Jack Wrangler had passed away, but I was deeply saddened. My heart went out especially to Margaret.

Jack asked that there be no funeral, but his friends are already beginning to make plans for a celebration of his life to be held shortly. And who knows, maybe Jack will find a way - if not as an off-stage voice, at least as an off-stage presence - to take part in the event.

STU