HERE'S WHAT ITS ALL ABOUT ....

Cabaret Hotline Online is an independent website with more than 7,400 pages of news, information and stories on cabaret, owned and maintained by Stu Hamstra. CABARET HOTLINE ONLINE is not affiliated with any club or organization. It is totally supported through advertising and membership donations. This blog is an extension of the website and newsletter.

NOW IN OUR 26th YEAR OF PROMOTING THE ART & ARTISTS OF CABARET!

"His eye is on the sparrow...."

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

YOU CAN'T MAKE THIS STUFF UP - TRUE STORY

I have to share this with you all. Every once in a while I get an e-mail that "makes my day" and last week one came that was a winner. On Friday I made another plea to all the members of 2008-2009 who had not rejoined. One response went something like this (I am paraphrasing so as not to reveal the writer's identity). "I won't be joining this year because I am not getting any benefit from CABARET HOTLINE. Enclosed is a press release for my show in October. I hope you can make it." As "Judy" would say, you can't make this stuff up!

A number of folks (mostly performers) replied that they would like to rejoin, but their financial situation made it impossible right now. Performers, especially entertainers, are especially hit by economic downturns, since what they offer is not considered "essential." No one is "bailing them out." So I sent a note to subscribers on Sunday (you probably received one) offering to give a free membership to anyone who truly couldn't afford to join for every member who joined over the weekend. Over two dozen folks responded with memberships and donations!

And - almost as a counterpoint to the above comment - I received this note - with a PayPal membership donation: "I feel very blessed that I can make this donation. These are very difficult financial times and I am lucky that I can give back to the community through CABARET HOTLINE ONLINE's "special fund." During times of difficulty and transition I think the art of cabaret is extremely important - audiences need that connection to the performer.

I don't care what the economists say - live entertainment IS essential. And I am going to do my very best to promote the art - and the wonderful artists - of one essential part of live entertainment - which we call cabaret (and more on this below)