HERE'S WHAT ITS ALL ABOUT ....

Cabaret Hotline Online is an independent website with more than 7,400 pages of news, information and stories on cabaret, owned and maintained by Stu Hamstra. CABARET HOTLINE ONLINE is not affiliated with any club or organization. It is totally supported through advertising and membership donations. This blog is an extension of the website and newsletter.

NOW IN OUR 26th YEAR OF PROMOTING THE ART & ARTISTS OF CABARET!

"His eye is on the sparrow...."

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

SUE MATSUKI - 'LIVE AT THE BEECHMAN' REVIEWED

On Sunday night, September 14th, I was at THE LAURIE BEECHMAN THEATER for Sue Matsuki's new show. With direction by Eric Michael Gillett, and musical direction my Gregory Toroian, this show marked yet another step in the constantly
growing Ms. Matsuki.

Each time I feel she is at her best, Sue changes direction slightly, chooses a new angle, and progresses even further. Starting off with two very familiar standards (Ac-cent-tchu-ate The Positive & The Tender Trap), she gave each a new spin - a new approach. But the song list was not simply rearrangements of old standards. New songs from songwriters like Zoe Lewis, Dan & Michele Page (with music by Ms. Matsuki & Mr. Toroian) gave sparkle to the set.

Vocally, Ms.Matsuki has been at the very top for nearly all the years I've been a fan - her first CD, "A New Take", remains one of the vocal/musical/production standards by which I measure all the CDs I review. I have been hard pressed to find a total recording to surpass that one.

If I would register one complaint, it was that the show was too short - not by my watch, but by my heart. I could have stayed for two or three more songs and not have noticed the passage of time, Sue's delivery and presence is that compelling!