HERE'S WHAT ITS ALL ABOUT ....

Cabaret Hotline Online is an independent website with more than 7,400 pages of news, information and stories on cabaret, owned and maintained by Stu Hamstra. CABARET HOTLINE ONLINE is not affiliated with any club or organization. It is totally supported through advertising and membership donations. This blog is an extension of the website and newsletter.

NOW IN OUR 26th YEAR OF PROMOTING THE ART & ARTISTS OF CABARET!

"His eye is on the sparrow...."

Monday, July 6, 2009

IT'S OUR BIRTHDAYS TODAY!!!

We've come a long way, baby! Starting with a small Apple II-c computer back in July 1990, with a dot matrix printer, continuous form paper, a box of envelopes and a coil of stamps, the first issue of CABARET HOTLINE ONLINE was created and mailed to about 30 "subscribers" 19 years ago today. (July 6th) This morning I fired up my "state of the art" iMac, connected world-wide via the internet, and began production of this issue, to be sent in a few minutes, instantly, to over 2700 subscribers, backed by a 6700 page website, 2 blogs, 2 TWITTER accounts, and a giant coffee maker to keep the wheels oiled and humming. And supported by advertising and membership donations from truly devoted friends - not devoted to me, but devoted to the art - and the artists of cabaret.

And previous to that, in a hospital in New Jersey, 70 years ago today, at around 6:15 am (according to my birth certificate) I entered this world without any inkling of what would be in store. In fact, I still wake up every morning with that same feeling - expectation, optimism, with a slight tinge of fear of impending doom. But it has been an enjoyable ride with more ups and downs than the Coney Island Cyclone, and more thrills and chills than a Stephen King novel.

We're going to be celebrating those two events on Thursday night, July 9th, at THE LAURIE BEECHMAN - and there are just two tickets unsold. I know exactly who I wish would take those two seats, but I have stopped promoting. The next few days will be a time of rest, getting a haircut, and getting mentally prepared for the show. Oh yes, tomorrow we get the Program Booklet printed and collated. That's a bit of a project. But no newsletter on Thursday - that itself is a great little bonus I am giving myself.

I also suspended my diet as of last Thursday. All that calorie counting and weighing and worrying. I plan to pick it up again on Friday, but I am enjoying these "guilt free" meals. I lost close to 30 pounds (I wanted to lose 50, so I'll keep that goal in mind) and feel great - much easier to tie my shoelaces and pick things up now (I though it was old age, but it was too large a belly that was the problem).