HERE'S WHAT ITS ALL ABOUT ....

Cabaret Hotline Online is an independent website with more than 7,400 pages of news, information and stories on cabaret, owned and maintained by Stu Hamstra. CABARET HOTLINE ONLINE is not affiliated with any club or organization. It is totally supported through advertising and membership donations. This blog is an extension of the website and newsletter.

NOW IN OUR 26th YEAR OF PROMOTING THE ART & ARTISTS OF CABARET!

"His eye is on the sparrow...."

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

MORE "HERE & THERE" PART II - BLOG EDITION

===============
MORE "HERE & THERE" PART II - MONDAY MARCH 29, 2010
FROM CABARET HOTLINE ONLINE #100309
===============
This issue is over 1000 words shorter than our issues of the past few weeks. Several reasons can be mentioned, but the main one is that my cold has returned - sort of as punishment for my going out to cabaret shows in defiance of my rule to stay home when not feeling 100%. But I could not resist seing John Patrick Hart's solo cabaret debut on Saturday at DON'T TELL MAMA - John is a bit older than I and I wanted to applaud him for taking on such a project as a cabaret show in his senior years. The show wasn't ready for a review, but from the way the audience cheered at the end, I know that with a tweak and a tuck here and there, John will be back "on the boards" soon.

I was "in the area" so I stepped through the piano bar and into the newer cabaret room at DON'T TELL MAMA to catch Cynthia Crane's show - I had seen it already last year, but its always a thrill to see a show a second time and relive the memories - and see how the show as developed. In cabaret one is able to add and delete songs and patter from show to it was even more delightful. She's got two more performances (and a MAC NOMINATION) and I suggest you catch this one.

I actually had planned to go to three events on Sunday, all at DON'T TELL MAMA but each an hour or so apart, but I was feeling so miserable I stayed home as long as I could, popped a couple of DayQuils and just went to Matt Leahy's 7:00 pm show at MAMA'S - his "Under the Covers" series contribution, Don McLean's "American Pie" cover. I simply cannot resist a Matt Leahy performance! Any my cold cleared up for the 3 hours or so (including travel time) I took to attend. Matt doesn't just "sing the songs", he creates an experience. It was one of those shows where you just wished all of your friends were along to see it! My pal Daniel came in from Queens to join me - his first time at a "Leahy Experience" and he was bubbling with praise at the end.

Fortunately, the rain (its pouring right now - noon in the East Village) held up until after I got home.

---------------
I had planned to catch two shows tonight, but I will see if this cold goes away and if the rain stops. This issue is going out a little later than usual because I slept in an extra 2 hours this morning.

---------------
Just a reminder of our change of format: items regarding benefits, cabaret festivals and cabaret organization events (which up to now appeared in every issue) will only appear in the MONDAY issues, or, during the actual week of the event, the issue closest to the event date. We have added extra pages on the website where these events will be posted for prompt lookup, and they always appear in the CABARET LISTINGS section.

All shows giving discounts to members of CABARET HOTLINE ONLINE will continue to be listed in the Thursday issue and included in the Saturday "Members Only" issue the week before the event. There is a special page on the website where these shows are listed for prompt lookup, and they too always appear in the CABARET LISTINGS section.

Of course events advertising on the CABARET HOTLINE ONLINE website will be included in both the Monday & Thursday issues of the newsletter.

Finally, we have re-labeled the CABARET LISTINGS section to simply CABARET LISTINGS over the weekend and moved the "button" to the top row.

---------------
It's never too late to join as a member of CABARET HOTLINE ONLINE - for just $20 you can become a SILVER member through July 5, 2010! Show discounts, advertising rebates & discounts, a free CD Sale Page, and a host of other benefits await you. Your membership donations help us keep this operation going all year long. Just click on the JOIN HERE button at the top of every page on the website ( http://www.cabarethotlineonline.com/ ) for details.

Every day, in every way, we're promoting cabaret!

---------------
And that's just about the way it was. I still have a lot more to tell you about but we've run out of space so the rest will have to wait until Thursdays's issue.

Thanks for your support of CABARET HOTLINE ONLINE! Remember, MARCH IS CABARET MONTH!