HERE'S WHAT ITS ALL ABOUT ....

Cabaret Hotline Online is an independent website with more than 7,400 pages of news, information and stories on cabaret, owned and maintained by Stu Hamstra. CABARET HOTLINE ONLINE is not affiliated with any club or organization. It is totally supported through advertising and membership donations. This blog is an extension of the website and newsletter.

NOW IN OUR 26th YEAR OF PROMOTING THE ART & ARTISTS OF CABARET!

"His eye is on the sparrow...."

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

CDs THE SECOND TIME AROUND

I went to so many shows in May, I was able to listen to dozens of CDs. You see, it takes me at least 45 minutes to get from home to any cabaret venue in town, so each night I load up my iPod Touch with two or three CDs to keep me entertained on subway or bus. Of course, this meant I listened not just to new CD arrivals, but to older ones as well. And I discovered that "the second time around" most CDs sound better than the first time! You see, when I first listen to a CD, my mind is searching for any flaws. I can't help it. But the second time, I am listening to enjoy. It is amazing how something "burned" into a piece of plastic and then transferred to my computer and finally to my iPod, can improve with age. Favorite rediscoveries: Mary Foster Conklin's "Blues for Breakfast"; Peggy Herman's "Mercer and More"; Barb Jungr's "Waterloo Sunset"; Becky Menzie's "Real Emotional Girl". I liked them first time - and really loved them this time around. I'll list a few more "Great Cabaret CDs from the Past" in future issues of the newsletter.