HERE'S WHAT ITS ALL ABOUT ....

Cabaret Hotline Online is an independent website with more than 7,400 pages of news, information and stories on cabaret, owned and maintained by Stu Hamstra. CABARET HOTLINE ONLINE is not affiliated with any club or organization. It is totally supported through advertising and membership donations. This blog is an extension of the website and newsletter.

NOW IN OUR 26th YEAR OF PROMOTING THE ART & ARTISTS OF CABARET!

"His eye is on the sparrow...."

Sunday, February 8, 2009

TOO MUCH OF A GOOD THING

The weather has gotten far more pleasant - the temperature hit close to 50 degrees (f) yesterday and I decided to break out from my self-imposed confinement. I even traded in my heavy overcoat for the lighter winter jacket. I managed to walk my mile - it ias been many days since I could carry out my personal physical fitness regimen. I even got my grocery shopping done.

Best of all, I want to see two - yes two cabaret shows last night as well, both at THE METROPOLITAN ROOM. Nice thing about going to the METROPOLITAN ROOM is that I can get there by bus in about a 1/2 an hour for just a buck.

Two GREAT shows - Mary Foster Conklin doing tribute to a warmer climate with her "MOON AND SAND - Songs of salty days and sultry nights" show followed by Skie Ocasio's "At Last" show - a benefit for BROADWAY CARES/EQUITY FIGHTS AIDS. Both shows drew great rooms - wonderful to see these days.

I even managed to work in a little extra exercise because the E train - which I usually take back to 14th Street to catch my bus home was not stopping at either 23rd or 14th so I had to walk to Fifth Avenue - where I could catch a bus downtown and save a dollar. (by way of explanation - senior citizens ride the bus at 1/2 price - $1 and get one transfer free to a second bus, but there is no such discount on the subway - you can however transfer from subway to bus once for no extra charge).

I made great connections and was dropped off virtually at my doorstep (actually across the street from my doorstep) again in less than a half hour. A wonderful evening all around..... except....

In my decision to switch outerwear, I neglected (notice how I avoid the word 'forgot') to move the keys from the first jacket to the second - so I was locked out of the building. It was nearly midnight. But - fortunately - my room mate was home and was still awake, and was able to "buzz me in."

For those who treasure their privacy, there is a benefit in not living alone.